Saturday, September 3, 2011

a homeless man

setting: on a night train - noisy 
character: an old, unusual homeless man with no belonging, nor unpleasant smell (H)

the old man just finished the bag of leftover food given to him by an Asian, tourist couple

tm: would you like some bread?
H: (smile) thank you, but I'm full now. God bless you!
tm: God bless you too (smile)
H: I wish I had a daughter like you
tm: You don't have a daughter?
H: I had. But she passed away. My kids were crossing the street. And a car (imitating moving sound) ... all of them.. We never had a private conversation. I didn't take care of them. My son would be 21 years old now if he were to be still alive.
tm: i'm sorry
H: it's been a long time ago. You should depend on no one but yourself. I have my faith now.
tm: is there anything you regret so far?
H: regret!? no
tm: where is your wife?
H: she's in Puerto Rico. I was there for four years.
tm: why aren't you with her?
H: Because my life has always been here ever since I was 16.... (non-understandable talking due to outside noise of a running train)....Where is your boyfriend?
tm: boyfriend? I don't have one! probably it's not time yet!
H: it's never too soon for love! you have to grab it or it will pass you by.
tm: i'll try to remember that
H: when you love someone, you gotta be faithful. Being unfaithful is a sin.... (very long non-understandable talking again)
tm: sorry, I gotta get off here. It was very nice talking to you!
(the train is about to close the door)
H: hurry up, this way! i enjoyed talking to you too. God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment