Monday, October 31, 2011

a zombie

setting: on a night bus, the saturday night before the halloween on monday
character: a male make-up artist, 34 years old (Z)

tm: wow, if it were not to be the halloween weekend, I'd have thought that blood was real.
Z: yeah, I did it myself. This is my kit.

tm: how do you make the fake blood on your face?
Z: I used syrup and change the color a bit so it looks more like real blood, especially when it dries up.

tm: how do you make it so real?
Z: you just have to play with it. I play and experiment with colors a lot.

tm: I see, so you learn by experience.. you are a make-up artist then?
Z: yeah, I used to be a different zombie everyday. This is my business card. I had it on my forehead earlier, but the rain stripped it off (what he meant was he had it stick on his forehead in such a way that it looks like the business card was cutting through it). I used to do the "metrocard man" make up where I had a few metro cards cutting through my face.

 tm: it seems like you are very good at it! How did you started with this?
Z: do you know the library in (i forgot).... I used to stay there all the time as a kid. I keep reading and reading all about special effects, and everything art-related. I love playing with colors. And when my mom asked what I was doing, I told her "I'm turning my toys into zombies and santa claus!" I love art. I also do a little bit of acting, modeling, and martial arts.

tm: how did you turn it into a business?
Z: I turned myself into different zombie everyday then walk around on the street. There was this one time I was a zombie playing basket ball in central park, and people started gathering around and asking. Another time, I was a standing still in a wax museum, pretending I was texting. A lady stopped by and took a picture of me. I turned toward her and said "thank you" then she dropped on the floor panicking. I thought she knew I was real. I didn't know I'd scare her. Sometimes, I'm a wounded person rolling on the floor. But I stopped making bruises and bullet holes because the paramedic guys and the cops keep asking. There was this one time where a paramedic guy insisted on getting me into his ambulance, seeing my bleeding wounds and bruises. I told him it wasn't real, and he didn't believe me, so I had to peel it off.

tm: wow! how long you've been doing this?
Z: hmmmmm 17 years. I'm 34 now.

tm: so you've been doing this half of your life?
Z: yeah, and I'm not bored of it at all. I don't do the same make-up twice. I come up with something new every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment